Friday, November 18, 2011

Flower Boy Ramyun Shop

In the last year I have developed a "thing" for Korean Dramas, it started out with Boys Over Flowers, Iris, Prosecuter Princess, City Hunter and the list goes on.  Even Sam enjoys watching some of them with me.  Of course we can only watch them with english subtitles because we still have a ways to go with our Korean language skills.  Right now one of my favorite shows is Flower Boy Ramyun Shop.  Why do I enjoy these shows so much?  Could it be for the great acting?  My great understanding of the Korean culture and language?  Because I have so much free time on my hands? No, no and no. Honestly I am not sure why.

I do know that I like how the Korean culture still values a level of modesty and old fashion values in their public broadcasting.  The shows (the tv drams are different than the movies) don't focus on sex, drugs and partying (okay they do like to drink and go to karaoke bars but it's more funny than anything).  The characters are very likeable and entertaining and sometimes their facial expressions have sound affects that just make you laugh.  I also enjoy learning more about the Korean culture and discovering that Koreans can be quite COOL!  According to my Korean teacher the actors and actesses do not fully represent the average Korean.  That's code for the average Korean is not as tall, beautiful/handsome and fashionable as we see on the Korean Dramas. 

So in honor of Korean Appreciation Day (which should be everyday) go to Random Detox, mysoju, or even Hulu to check out some K-dramas and get your kimchi on!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment